Ask any veterinarian, technician or receptionist what they think of offering a corn cob to a dog and you will get the exact same response, it is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, this information does not seem to have been sufficiently transmitted because in the space of less than two months, we diagnosed two dogs with intestinal obstructions due to the ingestion of corn cobs.

Indeed, contrary to popular belief, corn cobs are rarely digested. As a result, they become easily lodged in the intestine, causing a blockage that, without surgical intervention, can be fatal.

Although some dogs are able to pass a multitude of foreign bodies through their digestive system, this is not always the case. Socks, undergarments, rocks, toys, sanitary products, dental floss, bones and a variety of other objects have all been known to threaten the life of a dog.

The longer the obstruction is present, the more irreparable the damage to the intestine, even leading to leakage of its contents into the abdominal cavity. The consequences of this are similar to humans who suffer from a burst appendix : peritonitis .

Signs of an intestinal blockage include:

  • Vomiting of food immediately after a meal or several hours later
  • Vomiting large quantities of clear liquid (saliva) or liquid that resembles diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lack of energy, lethargy
  • Signs of discomfort
  • Diarrhea, dehydration

Certain obstructions can be diagnosed with radiographs, while others require an ultrasound or exploratory surgery.

In conclusion, dogs do not always make the best choices of what to eat. We must therefore be constantly vigilant in order to avoid consequences for them that could be disastrous.